Attention Graduate Students on an Assistantship
Graduate Payroll Deduction Authorization forms on myWSU!
The graduate payroll deduction program is an optional program for graduate students hired on assistantships that enables them to spread the payment of their residual tuition and mandatory fees, not covered by waivers, over eight pay periods via payroll deduction. This program is offered for a nominal processing fee of $8 per semester.
Graduate students on assistantships from all WSU campuses and locations are now able to submit a request online and no longer need to come to Payroll Services. The new online enrollment process is very easy and for most students should take under 5 minutes to complete.
If you are a graduate student hired on an assistantship and are interested in signing up for payroll deduction of residual tuition and certain mandatory fees, log into myWSU and navigate to this site:
Main Menu > HR, Payroll & Benefits > Payroll Information > Graduate Deduction
- Review the eligibility rules
- Make a selection for:
- the campus you are admitted at (if you are admitted through the Pullman campus but are at a research station or another off campus location, please check the Other button)
- whether you have a Resident Tuition Waiver or not. Resident Tuition Waivers include Operating Fee Waivers, Qualified Tuition Reductions, All But Dissertation Waivers, and Grad School discretionary waivers. Your offer letter will specify if you received a Resident Tuition Waiver
- the duration of your payroll deduction authorization. You have the ability to request payroll deduction for both semesters. There is no need to complete another authorization in the spring if you choose to authorize payroll deduction for both semesters in the fall.
(The default choices shown on this page apply to most graduate students)
- Click the “Submit” button. Review the fees shown on the next page. If you wish to remove any of the “Other Fees…”, select the fees to remove and press the “Update Other Fees” button to recalculate the form. If you need to return to the previous page, please use the “Cancel and Return” button shown at the bottom of the page. Please do not use your browser’s “back” button to return to a previous page because it will not work properly.
Please be aware that unchecking a box just means that you will not be payroll deducting that item. If you owe that fee, you will need to pay it directly to University Receivables by the deadline in order to avoid late fees.
Almost all Pullman-campus graduates who sign up for payroll deduction deduct all these fees, which are mandatory fees not covered by waivers.
If you are admitted through the Pullman campus but do not work in Pullman you may not owe these mandatory fees. Have your department make a request to University Receivables to have these fees waived.
- When you have reviewed the charges displayed, click on “Continue to Signature Page”.
- Read the authorization paragraph. Press the “Authorize Payroll Deduction” button if you want payroll deduction. The page will be updated with the date and time of your authorization.
- If your authorization was successfully submitted, a confirmation will be emailed to your WSU email address. Please save this email. If you do not receive this confirmation email, please resubmit your authorization or contact Payroll Services for assistance.
- Please note that the email confirmation only documents your successful authorization submission. In order for your payroll deduction to happen, you must satisfy all the requirements listed on page one of the authorization process.
Watch for the Graduate Deduction credit to appear on your student account. If it has not appeared by the end of the first week of class, please verify that you are enrolled in 10 credits or more and check with your department to make sure they have submitted paperwork for your appointment and funding.
You may watch a video with step-by-step instructions at the following link to assist you in submitting your online graduate deduction authorization:
The deadline for fall payroll deduction enrollment is September 5, 2016. The first graduate payroll deduction will be taken out of the 09/26/16 paycheck.