Payroll Services

Social Security Card Application Pointers

The Social Security Administration asks that when you apply for a social security card, or replace a card, that you keep these factors in mind.


CAUTION: We cannot accept photocopies of documents.  You must submit original documents or copies certified by the custodian of the record.  Notarized copies are not acceptable.  If you documents do not meet this requirement, we cannot process your application.  We will return your documents.  IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO MAIL YOUR ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS, TAKE THEM TO ANY SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE.

If you need an ORIGINAL CARD (you have NEVER been assigned a Social Security number before), you must show us proof of:


If you need a DUPLICATE CARD (no name change), you must show us proof of IDENTITY.

IMPORTANT: If you were born outside the U.S., you must also show us proof of U.S. CITIZENSHIP or LAWFUL ALIEN STATUS.

If you need a CORRECTED CARD because of a name change, you must show us proof of IDENTITY.

To CHANGE YOUR NAME on our records, we need one or more documents identifying you by your OLD NAME on our records and your NEW NAME.

IMPORTANT: If you were born outside the U.S., you must also show us proof of U.S. CITIZENSHIP or LAWFUL ALIEN STATUS.

AGE:  We prefer to see your birth certificate.  However, we can accept other documents such as a hospital record of your birth made before you were age 5 or a religious record made before you were three months old.  If you were born outside the U.S., we can accept your passport.  Call us for advice if you cannot obtain any of these documents.

IDENTITY:  We must see a document in the name you want shown on the card.  We can generally accept a current document that has enough information to identify you (e.g., signature, name, age, date of birth, parents' names).  WE CANNOT ACCEPT a BIRTH CERTIFICATE, HOSPITAL BIRTH RECORD, SSN CARD, SSN CARD STUB, OR SSA RECORD.  Some documents that we can accept are:

  • Driver's license
  • Employer ID card
  • Passport
  • Marriage or divorce record
  • Adoption record
  • Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • Military records
  • Insurance policy
  • School ID card

IMPORTANT:  If you are applying for a card on behalf of someone else, we must see proof of identity for both you and the person to whom the card will be issued.

The Lewiston Social Security office is open Monday-Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm year round. Location: 1617 19th Ave. Lewiston, ID 1-208-746-2995 or 1-800-772-1213.

Payroll Services, PO Box 641024, Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-1024, 509-335-9575, Contact Us