Payroll Services

Name Change Procedures

  • Payroll Services is responsible for processing name changes for students and employees.
  • To maintain compliance with the SEVIS system, international students and scholars who have an F-1 or J-1 visa must update the name on their passport and present it to Payroll Services before the name change can be accepted.
  • You may complete the Name Change Request Form provided below and bring your supporting documents to Payroll Services 236 French Ad Building or mail them to PO Box 641024 Pullman Wa 99164-1024.
  • For your convenience, the Name Change Request Form and legible copies of your supporting documents can be faxed to Payroll Services at (509) 335-1472.
  • A letter may be substituted in place of the Name Change Request Form but it must include all items on the Name Change Request Form including your signature and a statement requesting a name change. If your letter is incomplete, it will delay processing.
  • Your supporting documents must reflect your full name.
  • Acceptable supporting documents for a name change:
Certificate Legal Document And Photo ID:
(Provide one certified document and one photo ID)


Proof of Usage Documents
(Provide a minimum of three): ***
  • Certified Copy of Court Order and a Photo ID
  • Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate and a Photo ID
  • Certified Copy of Dissolution Degree and a Photo ID
  • Unexpired Passport and a Photo ID
  • Current Driver's License
  • State-Issued ID Card
  • Military ID Card
  • CougarCard
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Voters Registration Card
  • Car Registration
  • Credit Card (one only)
*** Note: At least one of the supporting documents must include date of birth, photograph, and signature of new name.


  • Upon successful submission of the Name Change Request Form and supporting documents, Payroll will update your name in the University Name and Address file which is accessed by several university student and administrative systems.

Name Change Request Form

Name Change Request Form PDF format 80KB


Other Places to Change Your Name

  • Students - You are responsible for informing your college about your name change request.
  • Department of Motor Vehicles (Department of Licensing)
Address 980 S Grand Ave
Pullman, WA 99163-2141
Phone (509) 334-2510
Hours Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Thurs:  9:30am - 4:30pm


  • Internal Revenue Service - To change your name, click here and select 1203 Form 8822 Change of Address, follow directions and fill in line 5.
Payroll Services, PO Box 641024, Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-1024, 509-335-9575, Contact Us