- Payroll Services is responsible for processing name changes for students and employees. All requests for change of name must be supported by legal documentation of requested name, or sufficient proof of usage documents.
- Payroll Services only updates legal names. Diploma Name Types are created through the Office of Registrar, Graduations Area Click here for more information .
- To maintain compliance with the SEVIS system, international students and scholars who have an F-1 or J-1 visa must update the name on their passport and present it to Payroll Services before the name change can be accepted.
- Please submit a completed Name Change Request Form along with your supporting documentation in one of the following ways:
- In person at the French Administration Building Room 236 in Pullman, WA
- Via mail to PO Box 641024, Pullman, WA, 99164-1024
- Email email@example.com for a secure link
- Fax to 509-335-1472
- Interdepartmental mail (1024)
- Employees may submit name change request via Workday –upload docs to Workday (name change request form not needed in this case). **Supporting documents must be received before we can approve the transaction.
- We accept clear photos or scans (jpeg, doc, PDF)
- Do not email sensitive information (i.e. Social Security numbers, banking information, etc.) to Payroll Services. Please fax, mail, or hand deliver any sensitive information to Payroll Services or departmental payroll personnel.
- Your supporting documents must reflect your full name as requested. Photo I.D. is required with all name changes.
- Acceptable supporting documents for a name change:
Certificate Legal Document And Photo ID:
(Provide one certified document and one photo ID)
- Certified Copy of Court Order and a Photo ID
- Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate and a Photo ID
- Certified Copy of Dissolution Decree and a Photo ID
- Unexpired Passport and a Photo ID
Proof of Usage Documents (Provide a minimum of three): ***
- Current Driver’s License
- State-Issued ID Card
- Military ID Card
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Voters Registration Card
- Car Registration
*** Note: At least one of the supporting documents must include date of birth, photograph, and signature of new name.
- Upon successful submission of the Name Change Request Form and supporting documents, Payroll will update your name in the University Name and Address file which is accessed by several university student and administrative systems.
- Please allow 1-3 business days once all complete documentation is received for the processing of your name change request.
FOR FAFSA: If you need to update your name or other records for financial aid purposes, please visit the secure WSU Record Change Form and submit the requested documentation here. Please allow 1-3 business days for processing.
Other Places to Change Your Name
- Students – You are responsible for informing your college about your name change request.
- Department of Motor Vehicles (Department of Licensing)
980 S Grand Ave Pullman, WA 99163-2141
Phone: (509) 334-2510
Hours: Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat: 8:30am – 4:30pm; Thurs: 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Social Security Administration – Name changes.
- Internal Revenue Service – To change your name, click here and select 1203 Form 8822 Change of Address, follow directions and fill in line 5.
- Department of Retirement Systems – for employees enrolled in PERS, TRS or LEOFF, click here for Name/Address Change form.